Thursday, May 21, 2009

How does one of the poems relate to your life?

Our Deepest Fear - This poem is incredibly significant in my life actually. This poem was read numerous times at my boarding school in southern Virginia years ago. It was specifically read right before this thing called "Ades Acies." (it means standing on the edge in latin) Once you have been at the boarding school for awhile and you have gone through the four out of five workshops, you do this thing called "Ades Acies." From an outsider's point of view, it looks like a talent show by some of the oldest kids in the school. However, each student is assigned what they have to do in front of the whole school - and the staff who know them very well pick it. its usually a really emotional experience - audience is crying, sometimes the people doing it are crying. it can be anywhere from dancing to singing to a skit or just anything they want. MY POINT is that this poem is read right before the entire performance by one of the main staff Andy Coe. He sets the stage for the whole ades acies by inspiring everyone with this piece. By reading this poem, he is speaking to everyone in the audience, and everyone who is about to do their ades acies - allowing everyone to be themselves, to be who they truly are - to let their own light shine. This is precisely what everyone is about to do for their ades acies...who are they to hide their light, hide who they are, conform, blend in? As Marianne Williamson says, who are they not to be beautiful, gorgeous, fabulous? Ades Acies gives these students who have worked their asses off for months to have their own moment to shine - to share themselves, even if they are scared to do so. My assignment was to sing a song written by Christina Jezioro. She was like a "big sister" to me and graduated a year before me, and she was a musician. She made a record after i graduated. I had to sing a song by hers. I wasnt necessarily scared of singing, and ades acies didnt necessarily have to be something you were scared of - but i was given the opportunity to be liberated from my fear of the judgments of others and share myself. it was one of the most rewarding overwhelming feelings and i will never forget it. By sharing my light, i even brought tears to people's eyes. I liberated their fear as well. 

3 comments:

Ms. Pfan said...

This is beautiful. I wish more people could have an experience like your boarding school.

Aristocrotis said...

I WENT TO CARLBROOK!

Had to reenact Where The Wild Things Are!

Unknown said...

I had to read the poem "IF." It was awesome especially since I had had that poem hanging in my room for 15 years before my ades acias.